The conference organizers of EconoUs2019 deeply value your participation and are striving to implement measures to create ease of access and comfort for all people in attendance.
Here is a list of ways we are working to support accessibility at the event:
- A bursary program is available by application to help subsidize the cost of attendance for individuals requiring support for costs associated with registration or transportation
- Equipment for French-English and English-French simultaneous translation will be provided to all registrants at no charge for the duration of the conference.
- Childcare is available at the local YMCA, free of charge for conference participants, in order to alleviate barriers to participation for folks who care for children. Be sure to include your needs on the EconoUs2019 registration form.
- Rooms at the London Convention Centre welcome and accommodate smudging and medicines used for ceremony.
- A prayer room will be available on site for anyone needing a quiet space during EconoUs2019.
- Quiet places will be created and cared for in the interest of offering participants space for quiet reflection.
- Sunrise ceremony will be available to those interested.
- Optional contemplative practices will be available to anyone wishing to participate.
- Gender-neutral and gendered washrooms will both be available on site.
- London is the Forest City! EconoUs2019 aims toward being a zero-waste event by reducing the amount of garbage we produce, by promoting eco-friendly. behaviour changes on site, uplifting green organizations, and by working with local partners to source renewable, recyclable, reusable items for any conference materials. Visit their green initiatives page for more on the London Convention Centre’s commitment to environment.
- EconoUs2019 is a plastic free event! Hydration stations will replace plastic bottles of water so remember to bring your own reusable bottles.
- Waste receptacles throughout the London Convention Centre have compartments to recycle glass, plastic, paper. Food scraps are collected and sent for composting. Any large amount of leftover food will be donated to the Men’s Mission.
- Food will be locally sourced first whenever possible: The London Convention Centre team is committed to supporting their neighbours and local farmers and community by sourcing season, regional, and sustainable ingredients. They work with suppliers who are committed to purchasing ingredients from a 100 mile radius, reducing their carbon footprint and supporting local food systems.
- Dietary needs will be diligently accommodated with dignity to the greatest degree possible.
- Space will be available for additional meetings outside of the London Convention Centre via local organizational partners.
The London Convention Centre is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence and is committed to meeting the needs of people of all abilities in a timely manner. They do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). More information is available on their accessibility and services page.
We know this list is by no means exhaustive, nor will we get this exactly right, but we wish to be transparent and collaborative in our learning process! We welcome your active participation in making Econous2019 a conference that works for all.
Please get in touch with Hannah Renglich (firstname.lastname@example.org) with supportive feedback, additional requests, and, especially, ideas for co-creating an accessible conference.